Monday, June 8, 2015

"Long Live the King"

A quick trip to Kentucky last weekend plopped me down squarely in horse country on the big day. I watched American Pharoah clinch the Triple Crown only an hour away from the racetrack where he won the Derby.

There was a certain inevitability about the win, not just the odds and the sportscasters' predictions but the three-year-old leading the entire race, his second-only-to-Secretariat pace, his supple gallop, his champion's heart.

Only a few minutes before the race, the televised coverage took what I considered an unusual but  heartening turn. It showed a printing press whirring out a newspaper and speculated on what tomorrow's headline would be.

Was I imagining this? A print newspaper? A headline? Not a click, a tweet or a post?

So yesterday, before I left Lexington, I picked up the newspaper. The Lexington Herald Leader's headline, which I regret I did not photograph, was "Long Live the King." The Washington Post's, which I regret I could not photograph better, was "American History."

American History in more ways than one.



Labels: , ,

blogger counters