Friday, July 21, 2017

Musical Time

Last night Suzanne and I saw a Broadway touring company production of "The King and I" at the Kennedy Center. I had forgotten how many wonderful songs come from that musical. "Whistle a Happy Tune," "Getting to Know You," "March of the Siamese Children," "I Have Dreamed," "Hello, Young Lovers" and the awe-inspiring "Something Wonderful."

The experience left me humming and tapping my feet, and now, the next day, has me on a Rogers and Hammerstein kick. "June is Busting Out All Over" and "If I Loved You" have been playing as I write this post.

What can I say? These musicals capture the innocence and optimism of an age. They're what I grew up, and I made sure my kids grew up with them too, along with the requisite Disney fare.

It's not a bad way to start. There will be time for angst and cynicism later on!

(Photo: Wikipedia)

Labels:

blogger counters