Friday, July 21, 2017

Musical Time

Last night Suzanne and I saw a Broadway touring company production of "The King and I" at the Kennedy Center. I had forgotten how many wonderful songs come from that musical. "Whistle a Happy Tune," "Getting to Know You," "March of the Siamese Children," "I Have Dreamed," "Hello, Young Lovers" and "Something Wonderful."

The experience left me humming and tapping my feet, and now, the next day, has me on a Rogers and Hammerstein kick. "June is Busting Out All Over" and "If I Loved You" are playing as I write this post.

What can I say? These musicals capture the innocence and optimism of an age. They're what I grew up, and I made sure my kids grew up with them too, along with the requisite Disney fare. It's not a bad way to start. There will be time for angst and cynicism later on!

(Photo: Wikipedia)

Labels:

blogger counters