Monday, January 22, 2018

Just a Spoonful

Last month, the Washington Post health section ran an article on sugar's addictive quality.  Convincing, but poorly timed. Who wants to read that right before the holidays? Still, it left an impression, and I thought about it again this morning as I shoveled far too much sugar into my tea.

For the most part, I'm a healthy eater. Lots of vegetables and fruit, not much meat, trying for more calcium these days. Where I fall apart, though, is in the sweets department. I know too much sugar is bad for me. But tea doesn't taste like tea unless it's milky and sweet.

I sometimes fantasize that I could cut down my usage one grain at a time. Would I never notice it that way? Or would there come a point, the proverbial straw, that would halt my experiment and send me screaming back to the heaping teaspoons?

At this point I'll never know ... because I'm not about to try it.  My tea is already decaffeinated; it can't be de-sweetened, too.

Labels:

blogger counters