Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Two Years

I started at Winrock two years ago today. It may have seemed an odd choice given my previous jobs in print journalism. But it's the words that matter, I decided, not the medium in which they're read. As for the autonomy of my reporting, I've decided that very few of us can say we're not beholden to someone or something, whether it be editors, advertisers or management.

Any job change requires soul searching, asking what really matters. And what matters for me is the work itself, the pace and the breadth of it, what it stands for. This organization has its heart in the right place. I believe in its goals and mission.

More than that, this work is perfect for the easily bored. At Winrock I have a huge canvas on which to paint. I've interviewed old and young, farmers and bank executives, solar technicians and victims of human trafficking. I write stories and talking points, ad copy and op-eds.

I usually write without byline and most of my output ends up online. But in the end, it's the stories that matter — that, and the writing of them.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters