Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Yankee Doodle Dandy Day

In honor of Independence Day,  I'm running a post from July 7, 2010. I wrote it shortly after Mom and I watched the movie "Yankee Doodle Dandy." That was Mom's way to celebrate the 4th. And today I'm thinking about her ... and even further back, to the time of George M. Cohan, a time of innocence and optimism.

A return to innocence may be a stretch ... but on this July 4, 2018, I'm pulling for a return to optimism:

Here's the post, slightly edited:

The firecrackers aren't yet snapping and the flags aren't yet flapping. What I'm thinking of is James Cagney as George M. Cohan in "Yankee Doodle Dandy." I can't stop humming "It's a Grand Old Flag," "Over There" or "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy." And I can't forget the sight of that powerful little man going into one of his tap-dancing riffs. He is the essence of jaunty, of sticking out one's chin and plunging into life. Was our country ever that innocent and optimistic? I replay the final scene of that movie, Cagney dancing down the steps of the White House after telling his life story to President Roosevelt, and I think yes, maybe it was.

Labels: ,

blogger counters