Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Gaudeamus Igitur

At last night's rehearsal we played Brahms' "Academic Festival Overture." It's an expansive piece of music, a war horse, often played, and one of my faves. It ends with the tune known as "Gaudeamus Igitur."

I looked it up this morning and learned that in addition to an academic processional, Gaudeamus is also a rowdy drinking song with a "carpe diem" flavor. It's also known as "De Brevitate Vitae," or "On the Shortness of Life."

Here's an English translation of the Latin:

While we're young, let us rejoice,
Singing out in gleeful tones;
After youth's delightful frolic,
And old age (so melancholic!),
Earth will cover our bones.

I like to think that while I was sawing away at those eighth notes and dotted quarters, the hair rising on the back of my neck as it does when I play, a chorus of ghosts was hovering around us, chanting these words.

Labels:

blogger counters