Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Twilight's End

A walk yesterday that began in darkness ended in twilight, the kind that appears all at once, as if the earlier lack of visibility had been a mistake, something that a shake of the head could remedy.

I marveled at this, thinking it must have been my change of direction, even though I'd turned to the west. But going back, I had the light behind me, so what little there was of it lit my way.

I snapped off the flashlight; its pale yellow cone hadn't helped much, but had at least illuminated the newly repaved street, the bumps and edges I'm just getting used to.

It's about that time again now. The crickets are singing, the birds just beginning their chorus. Trees and leaves gaining definition, stepping out of the shadows.  I'm itching to be back outside.

Labels:

blogger counters