Thursday, November 22, 2018

Gratitude on Ice

It's one of the coldest Thanksgivings on record here, with wind chills in the teens and temperatures that won't make it out of the 30s. A perfect day to stay inside, chop onions, peel potatoes and baste the turkey, all in a steamy kitchen.

Though it's tempting to put heat at the top of the list of things I'm most grateful for today, I'm going to push it aside for friends and family. We haven't celebrated Thanksgiving here for a couple of years, Suzanne and Appolinaire having stepped in as the hosts with the most lately, but today the clan (minus Celia, who's in Seattle) is gathering here, and by late afternoon there will be a full house.

It has lately been made clear to me (as if I didn't already know it), just how important family and friends are. Not just for celebrations like today's, but for the dreary mornings and frantic evenings of life. So on a day for giving thanks, my heart is full of love for the people who make life worth living for me. Not just today but every day.


Labels: , , ,

blogger counters