Saturday, December 1, 2018

Malawi-Bound

Last night wasn't a long one for me, hemmed in on both sides by packing and writing and preparing for eight days away. But that's OK, I tell myself, since I'm about to be on Malawi Time, which is seven hours ahead of us.

Until a few weeks ago I wasn't entirely sure where Malawi was. I knew it was in southeastern Africa, but that's about all. Now I know it's bounded by Tanzania, Moazambique and Zambia; is dominated by Lake Malawi and has just commenced its rainy season.

Winrock has a wonderful project there, working to curtail child labor, which is higher in Malawi than most other places in the world. Thirty-eight percent of children are engaged in it, largely in the tobacco fields.

I will be traveling throughout the country, meeting students, teachers and others who are fighting to change this. One of them is Leonard, who was so inspired by the anti child-labor club at his school that he coaxed his friends' parents into sending their children back to school.

It's at moments like these, when I'm nervous about leaving my home and family, that I remind myself of the people I'm about to meet and the sights I'm about to see, God willing. And then I realize, all over again, how privileged I am to do what I do, how grateful I am to be able to see the world in this way.

(Look closely at the picture above. That's an elephant, a photo taken on my last trip to Africa, to visit Suzanne and Appolinaire in Benin in 2015.)

Labels: ,

blogger counters