Monday, June 24, 2019

Gains and Losses

Over the weekend I started reading about the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, which we will celebrate next month. One of the tributes was in Parade, which bills itself "the most widely read magazine in America."

I couldn't help but notice how thin this most widely read magazine is. And this got me thinking about what we have lost in the 50 years since humans first stepped foot on the moon — in particular the rich print culture that has been slowly dying during the last two (three?) of those decades.

I'm a print girl from way back, and though I quite happily ply my trade in a mostly-web way these days, I miss the heft and gravitas of ink on paper. I miss the smell of it and the feel of it, the weight of it in my hands.

I suppose you could draw a line from rocket technology to the waning of print. After all, the information age was in part launched by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). But that's not where I'm going with this.

I'm merely musing that our technological gains come with quality-of-life losses. And I don't want us to forget about them.

(A small printing press, from an exhibit at the Museum of the Written Word in May 2013.) 

Labels: , ,

blogger counters