Sunday, September 22, 2019

Letting Go

A number of suitcases have been piling up in the basement, suitcases lacking the kind of easy-rolling wheels or with other defects that leave them out of the take-along sweepstakes.

Two of these bags belonged to Mom and Dad. They're older models, of course. And no one else wanted them when we were going through things a couple years ago. So I used them to pack up books and memorabilia that I was bringing back from Lexington — then, after emptying them, tucked them under the basement stairs, where they stayed for at least two years.

But the bags have recently been unearthed and deemed extraneous, so I just moved them up from the basement to the garage. Next step: the Purple Heart pickup.

They're in good shape and will come in handy for someone else, I hope. But it's hard to see them go. I tell myself that things don't matter, that it's the intangibles that count. But each time I get rid of something that was Mom and Dad's, a little bit of them goes, too.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters