Saturday, September 21, 2019

Glory in the Morning

Behold the morning glory volunteers, their seeds slipped into the soil last year, gifts from the past. Back in June they decided to sprout, and now they've grown, twined and, finally, bloomed. I seem to recall their relatives were blue, but no matter, maybe the soil acidity has changed or there's been a mutation. I like these better anyway.

Morning glories make clear the photosensitivity that all plants share. Sunrise and sunset prompt their openings and closings, which is just the obvious part, because it tempers their leaf color and stem strength, too.  

I feel a kinship with morning glories. Like them I bloom in the early hours; it's when I get my best brain work done. By afternoon I often feel as closed up as they look.

Labels:

blogger counters