Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Q4

I believe this is my shortest blog title ever, though not my shortest blog post ... at least I don't think it will be!

It dawned on me the other day that I'm starting to think in quarters. Not 25-cent quarters, but business-year quarters. This is in part because I work for a nonprofit organization that talks of quarters, and I attend all-staff meetings that have recently begun happening four times a year rather than more often and more randomly.

And it was at that meeting, with its talk of the Q3 just ending and the Q4 to come, that I thought ... hmmm, this is different: thinking in quarters rather than single months.  It's perfect for the speeding up of time that seems to be more and more the subliminal topic of my days.

But it is also a convenient way to frame time, to chunk it up, so to speak. And although in one way it makes time speed up (already in the fourth quarter!), in another it makes it slow down (there are three months to measure instead of just one). It's yet another way to live our lives ... and I'm always looking for those.

Labels: ,

blogger counters