Sunday, May 24, 2020

Mapping My Walk

Inspired by The Writer's Map, which I mentioned here a couple weeks ago, I embarked on a map-making project of my own. The result is "May 16th Long Walk," an amateurish work if ever there was one, but the first in a series, I hope, as I record the walks I take not only in words but also in cartography.

It was an interesting experience, chiefly because I haven't done anything like this since, oh, about seventh grade (I can't recall drawing any maps since high school other than ones scrawled on the back of envelopes in the old pre-GPS days) and also because, as is quite evident, I can't draw.

Creating this map called on that other side of my brain, the one that involves spatial relations (a perennial worst score on the SATs) and whimsy (which, though not tested, is far too often neglected).

But once I began creating this little map, I realized I could put anything on it —even silly things like the chain-link fence I had to climb and the large drainage pipes I call Snake Eyes. I realized I could be creative in a way I hadn't been in a long time. Mapping, like writing, is a way to make a place your own.



Labels: , ,

blogger counters