Friday, May 15, 2020

Newest Room

I write today from the newest room in the house, the one that is added every year about this time (usually earlier, since we've had such a chilly spring). That room is ... the deck.

It comes in especially handy now, as the other rooms are, like the poet said, "too much with us." I work in them, eat in them and sometimes (when napping, which is rarely) even sleep in them. In short, I am almost always either in the living room or the kitchen, and since these rooms have no door to separate them, this can become a bit monotonous.

Enter the deck, which runs two-thirds the width of the house and which has two distinct divisions of its own — the sunny section, where there's a chaise lounge, a grill and two wooden rocking chairs; and the shady section, where there's a glass-topped wrought-iron table and four chairs.

I'm sitting in the shady section now, having wiped the evening's moisture off the glass and parked myself and my two computers at the far end, where I can look over the yard, the garden and the Siberian iris. It's good to be back.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters