Thursday, June 18, 2020

Blackberry Winter

Though the heat and humidity are building here, for the last few days it's felt like Blackberry Winter, which is what I grew up hearing an early summer cold snap called. Curious about this expression, I just learned from the Farmer's Almanac that it's primarily a southern term used to describe a bout of chilly weather that happens when the blackberries bloom.

There are lots of words like this in my lexicon, though I'm not pulling others up right this minute, language that harkens back to the deep roots of my Kentucky childhood. These turns of phrase created a world view that was part lore, part poetry and only a small part reality. For instance, I recall few blackberry blooms in my neck of the woods. It's only since I've lived in Virginia that I've been aware of when the blackberries bloom, which is, interestingly enough, right about now!

As for the weather, it won't be cool much longer. Already the heat and humidity are building, the rain that fell yesterday becoming steam that rises from the lawn, aromatic and ever-so-slightly suffocating, too.

Labels: ,

blogger counters