Thursday, August 6, 2020

Joint Praise

Watching Tom recover (and nicely!) from knee replacement surgery makes me appreciate my own joints even more. That doctors can go in there, take out the diseased cartilage and bone and create a new knee (or shoulder or hip) from metal and plastic is amazing enough. But the originals are even more miraculous. 

Our joints are mechanical marvels that we take for granted every day. The range of motion, the strength and durability ... I will never look at going up and down the stairs quite the same way again. 

While I seem to spend an increasing amount of time keeping my birth joints in working order, I have renewed incentive to continue and increase this practice. Not because I don't admire the bionic versions, but because I'd just as soon keep the slightly creaky but still-so-serviceable ones I have. 

(Image: Wikipedia)
blogger counters