Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Big Send

In an hour or two, I'll drive to the Oak Hill post office to mail 100 letters, part of the Vote Forward campaign which today will send 15,000,000 (that's 15 million!) letters to voters in swing states. The organizers are calling it the Big Send.

It's a way to canvas for votes during a pandemic and it's business for the beleaguered U.S. Postal Service. Plus ... and this is my favorite part ... it's a vote of confidence for the old school approach: pen and paper, envelopes and stamps, snail mail. It's harkening back to an epistolary mode of communication that's so old it's new again.

I'm glad I could find time recently to pen a few lines to voters who are registered but seldom go to the polls, explaining why I vote and encouraging them to do the same. It's not exactly knocking on doors, but it's a small movement in that direction. 

Labels: ,

blogger counters