Monday, December 14, 2020

Rejoice!

Yesterday was Gaudete Sunday, the third Sunday of Advent, when the message shifts from one of "beware and prepare" to "rejoice and prepare." 

I love both Advent messages. For that matter, I love Advent. It's a season of anticipation — and isn't anticipating an event usually always better than the event itself? 

More than two decades ago, I happened to read Kathleen Norris's book The Cloister Walk during Advent. It was a busy time for me as a writer and a parent, and when I'd collapse in bed each night I'd savor a chapter or two of this fine volume and be transported into the silence of the cloister.

The image I have of Advent is one of cold stone and plainsong, of middle-of-the-night awakenings for prayer and devotion. Though Norris spent time in a monastery in Minnesota, it was the old churches of Europe that came to mind as I visualized her progress through the liturgical year. The long centuries of hope condensed into an annual calendar. 

By the reckonings of that calendar, we have already begun a new year. 

Labels: , , ,

blogger counters