Sunday, February 7, 2021

Eleven Years

Eleven years ago today, on another snowy Super Bowl Sunday, I started this blog. It was something I'd been meaning to do for years, but the windfall of time made possible by a weather disruption gave me the space I needed to make the resolution come true

I still remember sitting on the couch, setting up the blog account, finding it easier than I thought. I had the title in mind, and a rough idea of what I wanted to say (though it would take months to learn how to size the photos), but it came together with the ease of something that was meant to be.  It seemed to me then, and on good days still seems to be ... magic

Magic occurs when ideas have the room and reception to put down roots and grow. "Ideas are driven by a single impulse: to be made manifest," writes the author and memoirist Elizabeth Gilbert. "And the only way an idea can be made manifest in our world is through collaboration with a human partner." 

For eleven years, I've partnered with the idea of A Walker in the Suburbs, writing about walking and place and books and family life. I'm glad it came to visit me, this idea. But most of all, I'm grateful I chose to welcome it


Labels: , , ,

blogger counters