Thursday, July 29, 2021

'Let Every Fiber Thrill'

With our family lakeside getaway only two days away, I couldn't have picked a better time to read Madeleine Blais' book To the New Owners. A valentine to her family's ramshackle bungalow on Martha's Vineyard it sums up the chaos of multi-generational gatherings.  

One of my favorite chapters features excerpts from the guest register. There are explanations, exhortations and ruminations — entries that touch on every aspect of that family's island getaways.

"I've never played so many games of gin rummy in my life." 

"I can think of no other place I'd rather go  out and not catch any fish!"

And, because this is a literary family, numerous riffs on the famous line from Moby Dick, including, "Call me, Ishmael" and "You never call me, Ishmael." 

One of my favorite entries is this quotation from Flaubert, which captures the spirit with which one should embark upon a trip that (in my case) consists of eight adults, two babies and two large German Shepherds:

"Spend! Be profligate! All great souls, that is to say, all good ones, expend all their energies regardless of the cost. You must suffer and enjoy, laugh, cry, love and work, in other words you must let every fiber of your being thrill with life. That's the meaning of being human, I think ..."

(Above: Guest books from Thule, our beloved lakeside cottage in Indiana, which left the family about five years ago.)

Labels: , ,

blogger counters