Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Decoration Inflation

I heard it first at the dentist's office a couple weeks ago. The assistant who was prepping me for a procedure lamented that it was almost October 1. "And you know what that means," she said. "Next thing you know it's Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas and New Years." 

Of course, she's right. And I probably feel it more than she does, too, being a decade or two older. I notice this holiday speed-up not only on television, where ads for holiday films fill the airwaves, but also in the neighborhood.

It's not that people are lighting trees and plugging in inflatable Santas just yet. But I've noticed a steady "decoration inflation" the last couple of years, driven, I imagine, by what's available to buy. Which means that a home without spider webs in the trees and smiling pumpkins on the lawn looks downright miserly.

At my house, it still looks like summer.: potted geraniums on the front stoop, roses in the backyard, a flowering hosta by the garage. So I have forgone the mums and ornamental cabbage. I haven't even bought a pumpkin yet. Here the fall decor is only what nature supplies: turning leaves and the red berries of the dogwood tree. 



Labels: ,

blogger counters