Tuesday, May 17, 2022

The Rhododendrons

Every year is some plant's year to shine. Last year the redbuds stole the show. Or at least the ones I saw were resplendent in their budding show of strength, their pinks and purples peeking out from amidst sprays of dogwood white.

This year, it's the rhododendrons' turn to shine. Whether it's just that I'm noticing them more or that certain meteorological conditions are favoring them I'll never understand, inexpert gardener that I am. 

All I know is that our own specimen aside (and it has its hands full thriving in the midst of a bamboo patch), other area plants are standing up to rain and wind and alternate blasts of warmth and cold. They are sending us big-fisted flowers that remind us, as do their compatriots, of how much we need spring. 

(I cheated a bit with the photo: it's from last year's May trip to Seattle. I know of no Virginia plants that look like this.)

Labels: ,

blogger counters