Thursday, April 20, 2023

Protecting the Forest

I'd resisted for days, but today I gave in. I reached down and pulled up a few garlic mustard plants, an edible but invasive species I've learned of recently, mostly from seeing pulled and trampled stems on the trail. 

It's tall with a few delicate white flowers. At first, I admired it. But then I learned how it can dominate the ground cover in a forest, driving out the natives.

Walks are when I think and listen to music, when ideas percolate. I don't want to wear garden gloves and trudge through the woods with a bucket and spade. But these plants pull up so easily that I hardly broke my stride getting rid of them.  If everyone pulled up a few stalks, there would be no more garlic mustard in our woods.

In the end, it's elemental: When we notice, we care. And when we care, we protect. 

(Photo: Wikimedia)


Labels: , ,

blogger counters