Friday, June 7, 2024

Protecting Place

As I'm drawn further into the life of a town where I don't officially live, I think about what I owe Reston. Though I can't swim in its pools or kayak on its lakes, I do walk its trails and enjoy its ambiance without paying its fees.

There's nothing illegal or immoral about this, but the film I just watched discusses those who enjoy Reston's amenities without buying into its program. We live less than a mile from Reston but aren't within its strict property boundaries. Still, I worship at a Reston church, donate staples to a Reston food pantry, and pay the higher, nonresident fee for a Reston yoga class. I'd like to do more. 

As I figure out how to do this, I think about what people owe place, the responsibilities that come with residency. It's a topic I ponder often, this idea of stewardship, of protecting what is priceless. What can be more precious than hearth, home and habitat? And what can be more natural than wanting to protect them?

Labels: ,

blogger counters