Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Skipping Ahead

Today we travel west to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. There's family there, and a lot to explore. 

It's been a while since I've driven through the American West, and I'm looking forward to the feeling I get there, a sense of limitlessness, of big skies and possibility. 

As a daughter of parents who drove across the country on their honeymoon, who thought nothing of cramming four kids into a station wagon and heading from Kentucky to California, skipping any part of a land journey feels like cheating. 

I should be driving to Colorado, a part of me says.  But the older, wiser part disagrees. Are you kidding, this is what you always wanted when you were a kid, to skip ahead, to forgo the tedium of familiar landscapes for the crisp, pure difference of western terrains. 

Skipping ahead is what we plan to do today.

(Colorado's Great Sand Dunes, 2019.) 

Labels: ,

blogger counters