Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Steps of Revision

Yesterday I spent some time revising an essay. It's been a while since I've written one I wanted to revise, so I was a bit rusty.

It's a halting process, full of stops and starts. If it was a walk it would be an interrupted one. Halfway down the block, I stop to tie my shoe. At the corner, I run into a neighbor, admire her lettuce, chat about our kids. 

At the next stop sign, I change playlists on the iPod, turning my back on the sun so I can see the tiny screen. A block later it's the same thing. Another playlist, another pause. As I warm up I take off my jacket, tie it around my waist. Only 15 minutes in do I start to move freely, do I limber up enough to flow.

The steps of revision. I'd forgotten how painfully slow they can be.

Labels:

blogger counters