Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Savoring the Summer

I join the morning as it moves slowly over the drowsy suburbs of Washington. I see it clamber up a bank of clouds and shimmer as violet curtains part to make way for the sun. The sunrise is so vivid that it colors even the dark leaves of the shaded maples.

I walk without earphones, listening instead to the avian chorus. Those birds; they always know what to do, rising early to claim the day.

It was still dusk when I left the house. Bats darted through the air, foraging for last-minute snacks. A slow-moving skunk lumbered across the road. Squirrels scampered up trees, chattering to their own.


Last night's walk took me from daylight to darkness; today’s from darkness to daylight. I think about how lucky I am to see one day out and another day in, to savor the summer in its passage.

Labels: ,

blogger counters