Friday, July 13, 2018

Two Thousand Five Hundred

We come now to one of those round numbers I like to celebrate. This one is 2, 500.  I've written two thousand and five hundred posts since February 7, 2010.

I began A Walker in the Suburbs during a blizzard. Now I sit outside on the deck, stealing a few minutes from my paid writing day, watching hummingbirds dive-bomb the feeder and listening to cicadas as they pulse with crescendoing sound.

Copper lies nearby at the top of the deck stairs, ever alert, gunning for the squirrel who dares to invade his turf. A gentle breeze ripples the bamboo leaves and the new buds on the rambling rose, which has come back to life as quickly as it appeared to die.

I have no idea why the rose dropped its leaves and no idea how it's growing them back, but it's a lovely metaphor for persistence and renewal, two principles of Walker in the Suburbs ... which I will put to use as I write the next 2,500 posts.

(Photo of the St. Louis Arch, "Gateway to the West," by Suzanne Abo)

Labels:

blogger counters