Monday, November 25, 2019

The Gift of Time

This morning I embark on a two-day writer's getaway, courtesy of my daughter Claire, who decided last Christmas that what I needed most of all was the gift of time. She was amazingly kind and wise beyond her years when she made this decision, because I need it so much that I'm only now using it 11 months later.

Time is what writers need and what this writer lacks. I'm not complaining. I would much rather have more ideas than time than be twiddling my thumbs with vacant afternoons and nothing to say. And yet, it often frustrates me that my own writing time (writing what I want to write, not what I'm paid to write), is crammed into the bits and pieces of a day: scribbling on Metro, rising early, retiring late.

Today and tomorrow is a break in that routine. Two days to unwind and charge the creative engine. I always remember what happens to those who don't, beautifully articulated by the poet Mary Oliver: "The most regretful people on earth," she wrote, "are those who felt the call to creative work, who felt their own creative power restive and uprising, and gave to it neither power nor time."

Thank you, Mary Oliver. And most of all, thank you, Claire!




Labels: , ,

blogger counters