Saturday, April 25, 2020

Four Years

Four years ago today I started what I still think of as my "new" job. I moved from print to digital journalism, from editing a magazine to being a jack-of-all-trades writer/editor penning op-eds, success stories, profiles, advertising copy and whatever else needs to be done.

On the Friday of my first week I wrote a brief history of the organization. Seven months later, I was sent around the world to report and write stories in Indonesia and Myanmar.

Before I started, my new manager told me that working at Winrock was a little like drinking from a fire hose. He was not exaggerating. There's hardly been a dull moment.

Turns out, I'm a little addicted to the fast-paced workplace. I thrive in it, though increasingly it wears me out. But I always do better with too much on my plate than not enough. And right now, of course, I'm grateful to have this work.

One thing I know for sure, and I say this with great fondness: In this job, I'l always have too much on my plate.

(Street scene in Khulna, Bangladesh, just one of the amazing sights I've seen through my "new" job.)

Labels: , ,

blogger counters