Thursday, December 16, 2021

Semester's End

I've always been a student at heart, and now I'm one in practice again—reading, writing, researching. Wait, that sounds like what I've been doing my entire career. But it was different, of course, When I was a freelance journalist, I read, researched and wrote about the topics I needed to sell an article. When I was an alumni magazine editor, I wrote about what I thought would appeal to my readers. And when I worked at Winrock, I wrote about topics that would explain and showcase the organization.

Now I'm studying and learning about topics purely because they're interesting to me. These last few weeks, plunging into and through the final paper, I've been absorbed in a big topic that I can only scratch the surface of.

But how good it's felt to scratch that surface. Stacking books around the desk, dipping into one and then another. And then there's all the online research: I realized weeks into the semester that I didn't just have to rely on Google Scholar. I had an entire research library with all its subscriptions and databases at my disposal. Which means that, in addition to the books and papers you see above, there are many more bookmarked pages or open tabs on the laptop that is almost buried amidst the clutter.

Our final papers are due today. I sent mine off Tuesday mid-afternoon, then took a long walk on a Reston trail to celebrate. It's just a start. But it feels good to be a student again.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters