Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Ephemera

A woman enters the tiny chapel and crosses herself. I doubt she saw me notice but I noticed just the same. 

The couple in line in front of us can't take their eyes off each other, are forever touching shoulders, exchanging smiles. She has short hair and dimples. He wears a plaid shirt. 

There were hundreds of moments like these on our trip through Scotland last month. Little things I glimpsed that I don't want to forget. The ephemera of travel. 

They are like this section of Hadrian's Wall, a stretch that runs along a lane that's currently in use. Here is this historical marvel, traces of a structure built two thousand years ago, and we're driving along beside it as if it was a 21st-century shoulder. 

The ordinary becomes extraordinary. And vice versa. 

Labels: ,

blogger counters