Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Together Again

It's the last day of January, and I'm thinking ahead to tomorrow's post, the only guest post I have all year. My mother will "write" that one, as soon as I browse through her papers and find which of her writings to highlight.

In the meantime, I'm thinking about Mom, who would have turned 98 tomorrow. Yesterday I was repairing a tear in a blue-striped toddler dress that I wore as a baby. I found the pinafore for this dress earlier (see basement decluttering, below) and put it aside for sweet Aurora. When I delivered it to her on Saturday and her mother slipped it over her head and shoulders she immediately started to dance. It's that kind of garment. 

But a pinafore requires a dress, and once I dug through another box and found it, I could see why I'd not set it aside, too. The dress was badly torn, the skirt pulled away from the bodice, the sash unattached on one side. Nothing to do but find a needle and thread and begin. 

Once I got into the project, I could see the previous repairs, the mended side seams, the hem that Mom had let down, her stitches surprisingly small and tidy. For an hour or so last night I felt like we were working shoulder to shoulder, laughing and chatting as our needles flew, together again.


Labels: ,

blogger counters