Saturday, May 11, 2019

Peony for your Thoughts

It's been here for decades, this peony. It doesn't always thrive; some years it doesn't even bloom. But it remains. A stalwart.

Does it like where it's been planted? It looks more comfortable than usual this year. The greenery is full and the ants were in place (which is required, I believe), so I tucked the mulch carefully around the stems, and snapped this shot.

The peony was one of the originals I ordered in my early attempt at an English cottage garden, an idea that didn't flourish in this hard-packed Virginia clay soil. But it reminds me of my youthful enthusiasm and my gardening naïveté. It harkens back to a time before deer ate most of the plants and stilt grass had yet to invade our turf.

But enough of this gardening gloom. It's May, and the peony (singular) is in bloom. All's right with the world!

Labels: ,

blogger counters