Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Summer and Fall

On the first day of autumn, I walked outside after dark to get something from the car. I was wearing a white nightgown, not the lightest one I have because after a sweltering 90-plus-degree day, the air conditioning was back on.

My purpose was purely practical, but the night was alive with balmy air and the sound of crickets and katydids. I was suddenly aware that despite the seeming permanence of these summer sounds, they are extremely time-limited. The bugs chirp as if they have months to live when it's probably more like weeks.

I was sorry to walk back into the quiet of a darkened house, windows closed against the heat and humidity. It's been a warm summer, and many are longing for a spate of coolness. But I'm not. Say what you will about crisp autumn air, warm wool sweaters and chili simmering on the stove... I wouldn't mind if we had another month of summer swelter.

Labels: , ,

blogger counters